iphone OS support still coming despite 3.3.1 TOS clause?

Coding Questions, IDE related or anything else

iphone OS support still coming despite 3.3.1 TOS clause?

Postby CresCoJeff » Fri May 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Hello all,

I just stumbled across this project, and I must say it looks brilliant! I have two questions from the start:
1. I've read that Objective-Basic projects generate Objective-C source code which is then compiled as normal-- is it possible to write a program in Objective-Basic, compile it [thereby generating an objective-c source] and later simply open the objective-c source to work with in Xcode? I ask because I'm learning objective-c now as well and it would be nice if I could sort of move back and forth between the languages within a single project.
2. With the infamous 3.3.1 clause added to the iphone OS terms of service "banning" cross-compilers, will objective-basic still be coming to the iDevices? I do hope it will, as Steve Jobs seems to have already cleared just about all the major middleware products (Gamesalad, Corona SDK, Unity 3D, PhoneGap, MonoTouch...) that might have been affected [except, of course, the Flash app packager] stating that they don't actually violate his new terms. If he's letting those through I expect he wouldn't object to objective-Basic on the iDevices either.

Thanks,
CresCoJeff
http://crescogames.x10hosting.com
CresCoJeff

Re: iphone OS support still coming despite 3.3.1 TOS clause?

Postby berndnoetscher » Sun May 09, 2010 10:43 am

Hello CresCoJeff,

thanks for your post.
1) The generated code is Objective-C code, but it will be difficult to read for a beginner. But just try it out.
2) If other projects working on cross-compilers are allowed to go on, I see no reason for ObjB not to become available and iPhone OS based platforms.

CU
Bernd
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby berndnoetscher » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:24 am

Good news for objb.

Apple changed the license terms for ios based deviced again yesterday. All relevant restrictions for third-party software tools for ipad, iphone and ipod has been removed.
This means that objb for those deviced is very likely to come within the next year.

Read more

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/09 ... ement.html

http://developer.apple.com/programs/ter ... 100909.pdf
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby udo.killermann » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Bernd,

these are really good news :!: I look forward to the iOS version as well.

Kind regards
Udo
--------------
MacBook (2GHz, 4 GByte) - Lion (10.7.3)
started Objective Basic coding in April 2010 - still enjoy it ;-)
udo.killermann

Return to Objective-Basic (Xcode 3)