if this true?

Coding Questions, IDE related or anything else

Re: if this true?

Postby udo.killermann » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:01 am

SalG,

Most of the computer legacy you mention I know about. For example we are operating zOS systems in my corporation which is a successor to the IBM/360 you write about. Cobol is still a star in the financial and public sector. We at the moment still run a good part of our business Cobol based. PL/I and ADA I only read about, but see their influence to structured programming and design by contract till today. The other machines I had the chance to see alive and kicking when they were first released. You have come a long way and gained lots of experience - congratulations!
I disagree with your critic on OO languages in general, but somehow agree in terms of the frameworks which are in use right now be it Cocoa, .net or Java EE (to mention the best known ones). Often there isn't a good starting point in terms of base classes you can use in order to achieve good results in applications as a hobbyist. Most of the time you have to tame the beast because one thing leads to another and in the end you have 5 class references on your desk in order to use the one method you were interested in. The language itself is the structure and in case of Objective Basic is easy to learn, the framework is the hard body. Thus a good programming environment has to tame the underlying huge framework and present it in a convenient form to the programmer. I think OB does this to a good extent. But there still seems room for improvement.
As I am not affiliated with Objective Basic I don't mind if you criticize it. But I think even Bernd is happy about your comment because he wants to reach a large community with his product. So he has to polish it to its 1.0 release and he can only do so with open statements like yours.

Enjoy your day
Udo
--------------
MacBook (2GHz, 4 GByte) - Lion (10.7.3)
started Objective Basic coding in April 2010 - still enjoy it ;-)
udo.killermann

Re: if this true?

Postby SalG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Udo,
I had no intention to made critic to obiect oriented language in general, on the contrary! But in particulary is the lerning approach from language to language perhaps difficult because these differ mostly one below the other and one is forced to invest too much time to learn the one or the other.
SalG
SalG

Previous

Return to Objective-Basic (Xcode 3)