if this true?

Coding Questions, IDE related or anything else

if this true?

Postby SalG » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 am

I'm going the first steps to learning objective-basic, because I do would not learn objective-c and I had in mind, basic is much easier as obj-c. I see, that in objective-basic there are more differences than other RAD/IDE with object underground too. As example: I'll change dynamically the text in a label when the user hits a button. I try to say mylabel.Title="xxx" (how by buttons), or so, and objective-basic discover an error here, although the inspector shows the title-field, but obj-b not show this as selectable choice. Where can I found anything over this?
THX
SalG

Re: if this true?

Postby berndnoetscher » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am

Check out the example "GUI Hello World" in the example menu of the IDE (folder "Tutorial"). It is exactly doing what you try to do and nothing else.
Anyway reading the manual and the language reference included in the download (help menu) would be a good start.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby SalG » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Check out the example "GUI Hello World" in the example menu of the IDE (folder "Tutorial"). It is exactly doing what you try to do and nothing else.
Anyway reading the manual and the language reference included in the download (help menu) would be a good start.

I knows that button.title can be changed, how described in "Quick Start" from 22.2.2010. But I will change a label programmatically, eg. label.title or textfield.title or such. The mentioned example "GUI Hello WOrld" changes a button.title and not label.title or such, how I will and I become, for good measure, an error by run this example:

Internal Error. Please report back to us.

In file included from /Users/mac/Downloads/Objective-Basic.app/Contents/Resources/Examples/Subclassing/SubClassNSButton/Build/Release/ObjC/global.mm:1:
/Users/mac/Downloads/Objective-Basic.app/Contents/Resources/Examples/Subclassing/SubClassNSButton/Build/Release/ObjC/global.h:4:17: error: ObjB.h: No such file or directory
/Users/mac/Downloads/Objective-Basic.app/Contents/Resources/Examples/Subclassing/SubClassNSButton/Build/Release/ObjC/global.mm: In function 'void -[global _AwakeFromNib](global*, objc_selector*)':
/Users/mac/Downloads/Objective-Basic.app/Contents/Resources/Examples/Subclassing/SubClassNSButton/Build/Release/ObjC/global.mm:17: error: 'ObjB' was not declared in this scope
compilation terminated due to -Wfatal-errors.

I cannot find where are stored the examples! May be, there are additional files to download with the Objective-Basic.app.zip? Or is any way to "install" Objective-basic, that I cannot find anywhere? Or any publications, that I can read?

The mentioned Language Reference ist only a list of keywords and not a true reference or any way to learn objective-basic.

An last but not least: Why are this forum only in english and not also in german?
SalG

Postby berndnoetscher » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Please keep in mind this is a BETA version.
You are wrong. "Quick Start" never uses NSTextField (or Label), it only shows how to use a button. The following example shows code how to set the value of a NSTextField. There is no property "Title", though IB shows "Title" (but actually means Cocoa's StringValue) for a NSTextField (but I think adding an additional property "Title" would be handy). If you read the language reference carefully, you will see that NSTextField inherits NSControl, which have much more properties like "StringValue". Inheritance is described in the manual of Objective-Basic as well. Thanks for your request.

All examples and manuals are included in the download package and can be opened by using the menubar in the IDE.

Code: Select all
IBOutlet label As NSTextField ' needed to be connected in IB

IBAction click(sender As id) ' needed to be connected in IB
  label.StringValue = "just change here"
  Alert("click")
End IBAction

Created a new example showing how to use a NSTextField as you requested. It will be available with the next update.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby udo.killermann » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:25 am

SalG,

what would you expect to see in a tutorial to get started from square one? Should there be more examples in the manuals to show the application of certain language constructs or the interaction with Interface Builder? What is the hurdle in your point of view just to jump in? Cocoa is a beast (at least in my opinion) and Objective Basic can cover this fact only that far.
I think it would be helpful to get your feedback, because if you dig to deep into a subject (as Bernd does) you can't easily step back and think about the things a learner would need to get a pro.
When I started a few weeks ago to dig into Objective-Basic I missed comments within the examples, because they show the power of the language and Bernd's extensions needed to interact with Cocoa, but can not be read in a sequence to get a step-by-step intro. They compile and you think "Wow - but how would I acomplish a similar effect in my code?". Start experimenting and keep in mind BETA means there a several unresolved issues still crawling arround.

Have fun
Udo

BTW: In my opinion we should stay with the English language (obwohl ich selbst aus Hannover komme) because the community isn't that large at the moment and seperating it by language would leave too small splinter groups. Don't let the language stand in your way, just post your question - your english teacher isn't even near this forum 8-)
--------------
MacBook (2GHz, 4 GByte) - Lion (10.7.3)
started Objective Basic coding in April 2010 - still enjoy it ;-)
udo.killermann

Postby SalG » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:12 am

SalG,

what would you expect to see in a tutorial to get started from square one? Should there be more examples in the manuals to show the application of certain language constructs or the interaction with Interface Builder? What is the hurdle in your point of view just to jump in? Cocoa is a beast (at least in my opinion) and Objective Basic can cover this fact only that far.
I think it would be helpful to get your feedback, because if you dig to deep into a subject (as Bernd does) you can't easily step back and think about the things a learner would need to get a pro.
When I started a few weeks ago to dig into Objective-Basic I missed comments within the examples, because they show the power of the language and Bernd's extensions needed to interact with Cocoa, but can not be read in a sequence to get a step-by-step intro. They compile and you think "Wow - but how would I acomplish a similar effect in my code?". Start experimenting and keep in mind BETA means there a several unresolved issues still crawling arround.

Have fun
Udo

Please keep in mind this is a BETA version.
You are wrong. "Quick Start" never uses NSTextField (or Label), it only shows how to use a button. The following example shows code how to set the value of a NSTextField. There is no property "Title", though IB shows "Title" (but actually means Cocoa's StringValue) for a NSTextField (but I think adding an additional property "Title" would be handy). If you read the language reference carefully, you will see that NSTextField inherits NSControl, which have much more properties like "StringValue". Inheritance is described in the manual of Objective-Basic as well. Thanks for your request.

All examples and manuals are included in the download package and can be opened by using the menubar in the IDE.

Udo + Bernd,
thx for your reply. I know the beta-stadium of obj-b! What I mean is, as my opinion as beginner is: there are too few examples. witch are also very simple to explain how obj-b works in opposition to learn the obj-c. May be, I see it wrong, but my hope was to learn obj-b instead of obj-c would be easier, without perhaps the necessity to go in deep with inheritance, subclassing, polymorphism and so on. But your reply is still incomplete: I have try to run the examples, but I becomes the error stated earlier! I mentioned german language because when both you and me have german as native language better understandig is possible! And, I can wait until the beta-stadium finished.
SalG
SalG

Postby berndnoetscher » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Which examples do not work? Only the mentioned one or others as well?
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby SalG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Bernd,
I tried the mentioned example (GUI Hello World), and I became the errors. Perhaps I decide to ignore Obiective-Basic now, until I have found good manuals or other such things. For my art to approach on the learning process is this otherwise not rewarding enough. And at first I will sometime read all the forums articles: may be, I find "Enlightenment"...
SalG

Postby udo.killermann » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:53 am

SalG,

for me the hardest part with Cocoa programming is Interface Builder and its concept of wiring code and user interface. Without this concept you don't get very far if you want to do more than Alert or Log to interact with the users. I'll make a post about my insights of using Objective Basic and Interface Builder later on. If you don't between the relation of subclassing NSWindows and using this subclass within Interface Builder you are lost (at least I was). This IBOutlet and IBAction stuff can be very powerfull to use but they are pain to learn.
Perhaps there should be some built in widget within Objective Basic we could use for simple interaction (like PRINT and INPUT in the stone age of BASIC programming). If I printed something on the screen the information stayed there, on the other hand if I alert some information its only visible during the after.

Regards
Udo
--------------
MacBook (2GHz, 4 GByte) - Lion (10.7.3)
started Objective Basic coding in April 2010 - still enjoy it ;-)
udo.killermann

Postby SalG » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:04 am

Udo,
you have right! My biggest problem is at this time the nomenclature of IB: I have few knows in Windows C++ and Delphi, the linearity in IB is totally other as here, I think even much poor... May be, I unterstand not so gut the philosophie... But, as I still worked (I am now retired and now I will recount you a little story), I begun 1970 with IBM Assembler on IBM/360 (this says nothing to you? - it had often max 256K of memory and the microprocessor was still not born, big as a home!). Great think!!! Later came COBOL, PL/I , ADA, and so on for the Mainframes. So mind, that the peoples want thereby facilitate the programming approach. In the 1983 came the IBM/PC (let us not speak over Commodore 64, Apple II, Atari, Amiga, Sinclair and so on)! And now with graphical user interface begun the approach to object programming, because this is really sure (encapsulation is great!) as procedural programming and "simple" to learn! And I agree, with some exceptions. But I find slowly, that this becomes more and more false, the most object oriented languages are too "overloaded" with "overload", "subclassing", and so on. As one want often no more as to design the user interface and to code own program lines around it, one becomes a monster (like MS/Word). It also changes from release to release and will more "overloaded" with functions, that nobody can/will ever use and may be, there are often faulty! Much functions, that one will have, are perhaps often inexistent!
I hope, I had not annoyed you! And, this is no critic for Obj-B!!!
Greetings
SalG
SalG

Next

Return to Objective-Basic (Xcode 3)